Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Imagineering the Magic Kingdom Concept Art Part One

October 2011 marks the 40th anniversary of the opening of the Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, Florida. The Vacation Kingdom has seen a lot of changes over the past four decades and the editorial staff at Imaginerding wants to celebrate the unique and rich history of the resort with a series of posts
 


When I reviewed the two-disc DVD Magic Kingdom: Imagineering the Magic, I mentioned the Imagineering Art Gallery on the second disc. There are 42 images, in all, and I wanted to share some of my favorite shots. A few of them have been featured in the Art of Walt Disney World by Jeff Kurtti and Bruce Gordon. Some of them I had not seen before.

Enjoy!

An interesting angle of  Main Street USA.

The Crystal Palace and an early concept for the Swan Boats. Notice the large gazebo structures to the left.

The bridge to Adventureland. When we were watching the DVD, my oldest son thought it was Aladdin and Jasmine at the bottom.

The Jungle Cruise...and knee socks!

A more familiar piece of concept art. The entrance to Liberty Square.

Enhanced by Zemanta

3 comments:

Gator Chris said...

Fabulous. Thanks for posting.

Unknown said...

Chris,

I was wondering if you had ever picked this up. There is one for Disneyland, too.

I think you would enjoy it, but you know most of it, anyway.

Gator Chris said...

Hi George,

No, I never picked these up -- maybe the next time I'm at the resort.

I really enjoyed seeing the concept art, especially the pieces not published in the Kurti/Gordon books.

- C.